What is a Level II Trauma Center?
Only a select group of medial centers receive Level II Trauma Center verification from the American College of Surgeons (ACS). Verified trauma centers must meet the essential ACS criteria that ensure trauma care capability and institutional performance.
Criteria for a Level II Trauma Center:
- 24-hour-a-day commitment by the medical staff, including trauma surgeons, emergency physicians, anesthesiologists, neurosurgeons and orthopedic specialists
- Hospital staff committed to trauma, including staff in emergency, surgery, respiratory therapy, laboratory, radiology, critical care, nursing, pastoral care and rehabilitation
- Availability of numerous clinical resources such as cardiothoracic surgery; internal medicine; neurosurgery; ophthalmic, maxillofacial and plastic surgery; pediatrics; radiological specialties and many others
- Rapid air transportation
- Available consultation to rural areas via a 24-hour referral line
- Leadership in trauma education