For Immediate Release
December 6, 2012
For more information:
LOUIS AND PEACHES OWEN HEART HOSPITAL CONSTRUCTION COMPLETE
Patient Care Begins December 15
TYLER, TX – In 2010, Louis and Peaches Owen of Tyler announced a record philanthropic donation of $18 million to Mother Frances Hospital-Tyler to help construct the area's first freestanding heart hospital. Today, hospital officials gave members of the media a tour of the new Louis and Peaches Owen Heart Hospital (LPOHH), located at 703 S. Fleishel on the campus of Mother Frances Hospital-Tyler, which opens for patient care on December 15.
The facility was constructed in two phases, with phase one opening in 2010 inside the Ornelas Tower, and phase two, the freestanding hospital, taking 18 months to complete. Officials said the new hospital includes state-of-the-art equipment, integrated electronic health record and a comprehensive cardiac team and staff, which are on par with other top heart hospitals in the country.
The Louis and Peaches Owen Heart Hospital stands east of and adjacent to Mother Frances Hospital and connects to the main hospital in several locations, allowing specialists and clinical personnel to easily access both buildings. The hospital includes 72 new private patient rooms, a Cardiac Intensive Care Unit, cardiac surgical suites and comprehensive cardiac, thoracic, vascular and pulmonary services.
“This is a historic day for the region and for the history of Trinity Mother Frances,” said Lindsey Bradley, FACHE, president, Trinity Mother Frances Hospitals and Clinics. “The first true cardiac care provided in Tyler was the Pacemaker Clinic at Mother Frances in the mid 1960’s. In 1983, the first cardiac bypass surgery was performed at Mother Frances Hospital and here we are almost 30 years later with an amazing heart hospital made possible by the generosity of the Owen family, to whom we are extremely grateful.”
“This facility is something that Tyler and all of East Texas can be very proud of,” said John McGreevy, CEO of the Louis and Peaches Owen Heart Hospital. “When I came to Trinity Mother Frances from the Lubbock Heart Hospital in 2011, I was very impressed with the amount of research and planning that brought forth this beautiful facility. I have toured many heart hospitals in the country and the Louis and Peaches Owen Heart Hospital is truly world-class.”
Officials said research was conducted over a five-year period to plan and design the Louis and Peaches Owen Heart Hospital. Top heart hospitals in the country, including the Sydell and Arnold Miller Heart and Vascular Hospital at Cleveland Clinic and Indiana Heart Hospital were visited.
The LPOHH employs the modified universal bed model, allowing all aspects of pre and post-operative cardiac care to be delivered in one room, including all nursing and technology resources necessary for the highest level of care.
As patients progress through the healing process, the resources of the patient’s room flex to meet the needs of the patient, rather than asking the patient to move through different units of the hospital. Families are encouraged to participate in the healing process through an environment that facilitates 24-hour visitation and, if the patient and family wish, comfortable overnight accommodations for a family member in the patient room.
James Caccitolo, MD, Chief of Cardiothoracic Surgery at Trinity Mother Frances, said the flow of patient care is more amenable to both patients and physicians.
"Anytime a patient has to be moved to another part of the campus for testing or other care, it can slow the care process," said Dr. Caccitolo. "The Universal Bed Model has a proven track record and I believe patients and their family members will see faster recovery times and be more satisfied with their care.”
"Being one of the first cardiologists in Tyler, I have had the privilege of watching Trinity Mother Frances take heart care from its very beginnings in East Texas and grow it into this wonderful heart hospital," said Trinity Mother Frances Chief of Cardiology, C. Fagg Sanford III, MD, FACC. “The Louis and Peaches Owen Heart Hospital is the culmination of almost 30 years of hard work, recruiting, research and commitment. I am proud to be on this team of healthcare providers,” said Dr. Sanford.
Officials said the public is invited to an open house on December 8 from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. that includes tours and giveaways, while they last.
About The Louis & Peaches Owen Heart Hospital
The Louis and Peaches Owen Heart Hospital offers state-of-the-art facilities and technology, including the most advanced da Vinci Robotic Surgical System® and the latest diagnostic, medical and information technology.
• 6-story, 154,000 square-foot state-of-the-art facility
• Three floors with 72 ICU-capable private patient rooms dedicated exclusively to cardiac patients, using the Modified Universal Bed model designed to provide all levels of care, from admission through discharge, in one room
• Patient rooms allow for 24/7 visitation by family
• Cardiac Observation Unit providing a thorough and faster diagnosis, with 24/7 physician and mid-level coverage
• Comprehensive patient education program
• Committed Respiratory and Physical Therapy and Cardiac Rehabilitation Team
• Highly skilled multi-disciplinary staff, including mid-level providers
• Comprehensive discharge plan with follow-up calls by our team the following day
• Concierge level service for patient and family
• Focus on family engagement in the recovery process
• Incorporation of electronic health record (EHR) to provide a seamless registration process and access to the patient’s information by all caregivers in all settings
• Three da Vinci® Robotic Surgical Systems provide the most advanced minimally invasive technology in the world
• State-of-the-art cardiac catheterization and EP labs with digital imaging technology
• Five new dedicated cardiac, vascular and thoracic OR suites
• On-site Cardiac Rehabilitation Center
• Inpatient and Outpatient Cardiac Diagnostics
• Separate entry and driveway accessible from East Dawson Street with valet parking and patient assistance available
• Connectivity at all times to the Ornelas Tower of Mother Frances Hospital to allow for access to other hospital-based services
• Spacious multi-level lobby with amenities including gift shop and café
• Meditation Room/Chapel to meet spiritual needs of patients, families and caregivers
• Patient and Family Education Center and Resource Center
• Room Service dining
About Heart Care At Trinity Mother Frances
Trinity Mother Frances is the leading provider of heart care in East Texas. More heart procedures are performed at Mother Frances Hospital-Tyler than in any other East Texas facility.
Pioneering Cardiac Care Milestones at Trinity Mother Frances:
• First Intensive Care Unit in East Texas
• First in the region to perform permanent pacemaker implantation
• First open-heart surgery suite in East Texas
• First comprehensive Heart Institute in the region
• One of the first in the U.S. to introduce clot-busting drugs
• First in East Texas with advanced lipid testing
• First in the U.S. with total EKG networking capabilities
• First in East Texas with accredited Chest Pain Center
• First magnetic assisted complex interventional cardiac procedure in the world was performed in the TMF Heart Institute
• First robotic heart bypass surgery in East Texas
• First total endoscopic coronary artery bypass surgery in Texas
• First institution in East Texas with da Vinci, the world’s most advanced surgical robotic system
• First in East Texas to implement CODE STEMI protocol for rapid assessment and treatment of heart attack victims with ST-elevation myocardial infarction
• First in East Texas to perform minimally invasive mitral valve repair
More heart procedures are performed at the Louis and Peaches Owen Heart Hospital than in any other East Texas facility. The TMF medical teams offer proven diagnostic tests and treatments to deliver state-of-the-art cardiovascular services including:
• Advanced cardiac and vascular ultrasound
• Advanced imaging technology
• Arrhythmia management and treatment including atrial fibrillation services
• Cardiac and vascular interventions
• Cardiac catheterization
• Cardiac rehabilitation
• Cardiovascular outpatient care
• Electrophysiology testing and device implants
• Emergency services
• Heart failure services
• Interventional and surgical services
• Non-invasive cardiovascular testing
• Open-heart surgery
• Minimally invasive and robot-assisted heart surgery
• Valve replacement and repair
• Pediatric cardiology
• Peripheral angiography
• Vascular surgery
• Wellness and prevention services
The Trinity Clinic Cardiothoracic Surgery team at the Louis and Peaches Owen Heart Hospital provides superior, state-of-the-art cardiac and thoracic surgical care. The cardiothoracic surgical team offers comprehensive treatments for the heart using traditional, minimally invasive and robot-assisted techniques for procedures including coronary artery bypass grafting, valve procedures and congenital cardiac anomalies, as well as treatment of diseases of the lungs, esophagus and aorta.
Offering the latest treatment advancements in:
• Atrial Fibrillation
• Beating Heart Surgery (MIDCAB, OPCAB)
• Endoscopic Vessel Harvesting
• Endoscopic Radial Artery Harvesting
• Robotic Assisted Coronary Artery Bypass
• Surgery for diseases of the aorta (aneurysms)
• Totally Endoscopic Robotic Bypass Surgery (TECAB)
• Transmyocardial Laser Revascularization
• Valve Replacement and Repair
• Ventricular Restoration for Congestive Failure
About Trinity Mother Frances Hospitals and Clinics
Trinity Mother Frances Hospitals and Clinics includes The Louis and Peaches Owen Heart Hospital, Mother Frances Hospital-Tyler, Mother Frances Hospital-Jacksonville, Mother Frances Hospital-Winnsboro, Trinity Mother Frances Rehabilitation Hospital, affiliated with HealthSouth, Tyler ContinueCARE Hospital, a long-term acute care facility, and Trinity Clinic. Trinity Clinic is the area's preferred multispecialty medical group, with over 350 physicians and mid-level providers representing 39 specialties in 36 clinic locations serving east Texas. For more information on services available through Trinity Mother Frances Hospitals and Clinics, visit tmfhc.org.
# # #